While the “Back-to-School” sales may have started soon after St. Patrick’s Day, the first day of public school here in Portland is Sept. 6. Here’s the district announcement with all the particulars:
Classes will begin on September 6 for students in first through 12th grades in the Portland Public Schools. Kindergartners and children enrolled in the district’s pre-kindergarten classes will start school on September 10.
The normal daily schedule is:
- Pre-kindergarten: 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Elementary schools: 8:55 a.m. to 3:05 p.m.
- Middle schools: 8:25 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.
- High schools: 8 a.m. to 2:10 p.m.
- West School: 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Portland Arts and Technology High School (PATHS): Morning session — 8 to 10:30 a.m.; Afternoon session — 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
All students except pre-kindergartners are released one hour early on Wednesdays from September 26 through May. The PATHS schedule on early release days is 8 to 10 a.m. (morning session) and 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. (afternoon session).