On Saturday, I covered the MS Harborfest Regatta. Here’s a little update with all of the winners in the race’s different categories, as well as a hardy “Congrats” to all those who won — and to all those who participated for helping a worthy cause.
As an explainer, race organizers didn’t determine the results simply by waiting at the finish line by Fort Gorges and looking at who crossed first. Because the boats involved in the race have very different capabilities, the finishing times of the boats were entered into an equation which handicapped the times to make them proverbially “apples-to-apples” comparisons.
Without further ado, your winners are:
- Racing Division 1: Apparition, a Swan Class 42 boat with Capt. Ken Colburn and sponsor Ken Colburn, with a handicapped time of 2:19:41.
- Racing Division 2: Keemah, a J 105 boat with Capt. Donald Logan and sponsor CVC Catering, with a handicapped time of 1:47:52.
- Racing Division 3: Second Chance, a J24 boat with Capt. Jeff Smith and sponsor Bouyea-Fassett Bakery, with a handicapped time of 1:48:16.
- Etchells Division: Black Sheep, with Capt. Todd Lalumiere and sponsor Boulanger’s Earthworks, with a handicapped time of 1:47:45.
- Multihulls Division: Fast is Fun, a Beach Catamaran F16 with Capt. Craig Hackett and sponsor Watson Enterprises Inc., with a handicapped time of 1:55:15.
- Classics Division: Crazy Horse, a Pilot Sloop with Capt. Paul Leddy and sponsor Maine Magazine/Maine Home Design, with a handicapped time of 1:55:59.
- Cruising Division 1: Cadre, an Ericson 36 with Capt. Fred Leighton and sponsor Portland Rotary Club, with a handicapped time of 1:53:59.
- Cruising Division 2: Imagine, a Pearson 34 with Capt. Gail Rice and sponsor Points East Publishing, with a handicapped time of 1:40:54.
- Cruising Division 3: Scaramouche, a Shaw 32 with Capt. Merle Haggett and sponsor Watson Enterprises Inc., with a handicapped time of 1:38:45.
- Cruising Division 4: Fiddlers Green, a Pearson Commander with Capt. Jim Cullum and sponsor Seacoast Scaffold and Equipment Corp./Zane, with a handicapped time of 1:34:56.