Incumbent Portland city councilors Jill Duson (at-large) and Ed Suslovic (District 3) claimed re-election tonight in contested races, while former state representative and U.S. Senate primary candidate Jon Hinck joined them.
Hinck replaces at-large councilor John Anton, who opted not to seek re-election.
This was with nearly 35 percent of registered Portland voters (17,875 out of 51,267) turning out — an astronomical figure for an off-year election, largely due to the marijuana legalization referendum.
In the final tallies, Duson, with more than 47 percent of the vote, bested challengers Gregory Smaha (28 percent) and Christopher Shorr (25 percent).
Suslovic claimed 69 percent of the District 3 votes, convincingly defeating challenger Gregory Blouin, while Hinck held off fellow attorney Wellington Lyons with just less than 57 percent of the votes in that race.
Claiming school board seats were uncontested incumbent Laurie Davis in District 3, as well as Anna Trevorrow and Pious Ali in a six-candidate free-for-all for two seats on the board left vacant by former chairmen Kate Snyder and Jaimey Caron (both of whom opted not to run for re-election).
The totals in all the races are (unofficially):
Council District 3
- Suslovic: 1,912 votes (69.30%)
- Blouin: 847 (30.70%)
Council at-large (3-year term)
- Hinck: 7,101 (57.86%)
- Lyons: 5,171 (42.14%)
Council at-large (4-year term)
- Duson: 6,081 (47.08%)
- Smaha: 3,657 (28.31%
- Shorr: 3,178 (24.61%)
Portland Board of Public Education (at-large, top 2 win)
- Trevorrow: 5,965 (28.46%)
- Ali: 5,073 (24.21%)
- Deborah Brewer: 3.011 (14.37%)
- Ralph Carmona: 2,960 (14.12%)
- Gene Landry: 2,541 (12.13%)
- Frederic Miller: 1,406 (6.71%)
School board District 3
- Laurie Davis 2,258 (100%)
Portland Water District
- Nisha Swinton 10,684 (100%)
Peaks Island Council (3-year term)
- Marjorie Phyfe 355 (100%)
Peaks Island Council (1-year term)
- Jeans Martens 266 (55.88%)
- Timonthy Wyant 210 (44.12%)
Casco Bay Lines Director Cliff Island
- David Crowley 315 (100%)
Casco Bay Lines Director Peaks Island
- Twain Braden 294 (62.03%)
- Margaret Peretti 180 (37.97%)
Casco Bay Lines Director at-large
- Charles Burr 218 (47.19%)
- Anthony Alves 217 (46.97%)
- Lawrence Dwight 27 (5.84%)